If you make this recipe with water instead of chicken stock, this soup is both faster and cheaper than chicken soup, while also being vegetarian. I used chicken stock in this version, however, as I have not been able to convince my husband to eat a vegetarian meal ever since I tried to disguise tofu as General Tso’s Chicken.
- 1 Qt. Chicken Stock or Water
- 16 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Eggs, Yolks and Whites Separated
- ½ Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Tumeric, Sage, Thyme, Black Pepper, and Cumin to Taste
- Salt to Taste (use only if using water in place of stock)
- Bring water or chicken stock to a boil, and mince garlic into it. Add Bay Leaf.
- Carefully separate the egg yolks from egg whites. Pour the egg whites into the boiling liquid to poach them. Reduce the temperature to simmer.
- Whisk egg yolks together with olive oil, and add 1 ladle-full of hot broth to the eggs while whisking continuously. Slowly add egg mixture to rest of broth while stirring.
- Add turmeric, sage, thyme, black pepper, and a very small amount of cumin to taste. When satisfied, take off the stove and enjoy!
Posted July 30th, 2018 by Admin