This is probably the messiest craft we’ve ever done here at GRL. Luckily, Halloween isn’t about perfection (unlike Christmas), so even the most fail-tastic, dilapidated looking things will enhance the spooky atmosphere.
- 2 c. White Glue
- ½ c. Water
- White Cotton Crochet Thread
- Mix together water and white glue. Be sure to put down lots of newspapers or a tarp. It will get everywhere.
- Paint balloon with diluted glue.
- Wrap crochet thread around balloon.
- Paint crochet-thread wrapped balloon with more diluted glue.
- Allow to dry completely before popping balloon. When dry, pop balloon and gently remove from cotton string ball. Hang on tree. Warning: Keep out of rain, especially if your glue is “washable”. If desired, add plastic spiders.
Where we failed: We made these the night before Halloween, and they still weren’t dry by 3pm Halloween afternoon. Because of this, I took them off the balloons while they were still partially wet, which resulted in them being imperfectly shaped. I hung them up anyway, however, because spider egg-sacks are often imperfectly shaped. Therefore, success?